Historic Map Index Return to 1869 Birds Eye View Map Return to 1875 Plat Map
 
 

Barth's Clothing Store
827 E. Broadway

 
 

Barth's in 1900

Current

Moses Barth moved his business to Columbia in 1865 after his general store in Rocheport was burned down by Civil War guerillas. His nephews, Victor and Joseph, took over the store in 1868, and Victor bought out his brother in 1906. Cousins Joseph and Isadore Barth (founder of the Round Table Club) built a new building on the same corner in 1910 and named it after Victor, who died the previous year. Longtime employee Joseph Hourigan took a half interest in the business after Victor died and full interest after Joseph died. Barth's closed in 1987, and Bingham's took its place.1

Sources

1Columbia Downtown Commerce Through Historice Buildings, Columbia Business Times. Feb. 19, 2010

 
 
Return to 1869 Birds Eye View Map Return to 1875 Plat Map
 
University of Missouri-Columbia School of Law © 2010