Article originally published In Columbia Tribune on June 21, 1987
Whatever Happened to the Eagles Nest?
By Francis Pike of the Tribune Staff
Before the Civil War, Gen. Odon Guitar built "Eagles's Nest," a home at the corner of Sexton and providence roads. The house, whose cupola prompted its name, was considered one of the finest homes in Columbia.
Oden Guitar Jr. subdivided the homestead and sold the lots in April 1908, and the house was razed in 1917.
Cupolas, which many big houses in Columbia exhibited, were commonly called "widow's walks." The structures provided pioneer women a high vantage point from which to look out over the acreage for their husbands.
The subdivision in which Eagle's Nest was located, known as Guitar Park Addition, was bounded by Sexton Road on the south, Business Loop 70 on the north, then called Northern Boulevard, Garth Avenue on the west, then called Bennett Avenue, and by an extension of Third Street on the east, now called Providence Road.
Reproduced with permission from The Columbia Tribune