Historic Map Index Return to 1869 Birds Eye View Map Return to 1875 Plat Map
 
 

Selby's Hotel
SW Corner of 8th St. and Broadway

 
 

Selby Hotel ad

Excerpt from The Tavern Played An Important Role In Pioneer Boone County
by John C. Crighton, Copyright Boone County Historical Society 1987
Full Text Available Here

Thomas Selby operated a tavern at the southwest corner of Broadway and Eighth Street. Washington Irving spent the night of Sept. 19, 1832, there. Selby,[...], engaged in the slave trade–though on a larger scale.1 In 1851, he sold his tavern equipment and furnishings to John Van Horn and John D. Van Horn. Several years later, he purchased the large two-story frame building at the southeast corner of Eight Street and Walnut–originally built by Alexander Douglass as a residence–and transformed it into a new establishment known as the Planters’ House.2

Annotations

1 Columbia Missouri Statesman, Aug. 22, 1851

2 William F. Switzler, History of Boone County (St. Louis: Western Historical Co., 1882), p. 1000

 
 
Historic Map Index Return to 1869 Birds Eye View Map Return to 1875 Plat Map
 
University of Missouri-Columbia School of Law © 2010