Historic Map Index Return to 1869 Birds Eye View Map Return to 1875 Plat Map
 
 

Warren Woodson Home
400 Block of S. 9th St.

 
 

Warren Woodson Home

Present day site

Article originally published In Columbia Tribune on January 11, 1987
Original Article

Whatever Happened to the Warren Woodson Home?

By Francis Pike of the Tribune Staff


The Woods plantation mansion, one of the first homes in the area, was built as a log cabin in two parts connected by a breezeway in 1819, before Columbia existed. today the house would stand across South Ninth street from University of Missouri-Columbia School of Journalism.

One mile to the northwest of the building was the small town of Smithton, Columbia's predecessor, located where the water tower now stands.

The wooden cabin was expanded throughout the years into the 17-room Woodson Plantation mansion. It became the home of Dr. B.A. Watson and family in 1876 and was razed in 1915.

Reproduced with permission from The Columbia Tribune
 
 
Historic Map Index Return to 1869 Birds Eye View Map Return to 1875 Plat Map
 
University of Missouri-Columbia School of Law © 2010