Article originally published In Columbia Missourian on May 3, 1987
Columbia's Historic Homes
Reproduced with permission from The Columbia Missourian
||Might have been built in the 1850's by Levi Parks, who in 1849 paid $1,986 for 480 acres, which included the land on which the house stands. However, George R. Jacobs bought the tract for $5,430 in 1863 and might have been the builder. A door refinished by owners Joe and Fran Scallorns still bears the words "Dr. Jacobs job."
|History of the Builder
|| Jacobs studied medicine in Virginia but gave it up and came to Missouri in 1852. He married in Virginia in 1835. In 1852 he brought his family to Boone County and bought this property in 1863.
|| According to the Switzler Boone County History, Union forces passed through Columbia and camped on the farm during the Civil War.