Historic Map Index Return to 1869 Birds Eye View Map Return to 1875 Plat Map
 
 

Williams Hall at Columbia College
Columbia College Campus

 
 

Williams Hall at Columbia College

Present day site

Marker commemorating Williams Hall

The Christian College for women is now Columbia College

Article originally published In Columbia Missourian on July 5, 1987
Original Article

History of the Builder Originally built as a residence for physician James A. Bennett and his family. Bennett died during the California gold rush, and his survivors sold the building to Christian college in 1851 for use as classrooms and student residences. The building was named Williams Hall after the first president of the college
Date Built 1850
Outstanding features:

It is the oldest women's college building in continuous use west of the Mississippi. It is a brick building accented with a fanlighted door and a spiral staircase.

Vinnie Ream lived there while a student at Christian College, Ream, a noted sculptress, rendered a bust of Abraham Lincoln that is still on display in Washington, D.C.

The building is still in use by Columbia College for music practice rooms and a museum.

Compiled by Midge Crawford and John Crighton for Boone County Historical Society

Reproduced with permission from The Columbia Missourian
 
 
Historic Map Index Return to 1869 Birds Eye View Map Return to 1875 Plat Map
 
University of Missouri-Columbia School of Law © 2010