Summer is here and you are honing your legal skills at a law firm, government agency or non-profit. You want to work hard and learn a lot. But how will you spend your free time? Summer is the perfect time to seize opportunities and build invaluable connections to help you move forward in your career. Here are a few tips to keep in mind this summer:
- Be open to all training opportunities available during the summer, both within your law firm/agency and in other venues. Any training you can attend is an investment in yourself and will help you develop the tools for success.
- Be social, introduce yourself to everyone you see. Demonstrating your ability to assimilate at the firm or agency is important. Take advantage of social events to get to know the other attorneys and your coworkers better. Organized summer associate or intern events have been planned with that purpose in mind. So even if touted as optional, make sure you participate!
- Join the community of attorneys by attending bar association meetings and lunches. Participate in pro bono work. Look for opportunities to support your community; it is not only a great way to give back, but these events are also wonderful networking opportunities.
- Stay connected, reach out to the people you know as well as those you have recently met. Take the time to catch up with or follow through with your network. Ask them to join you on LinkedIn, send a quick email, touch base. Spend five minutes each morning to follow up with people you met or reconnected with the previous day.
- Have a “can do” attitude. Never underestimate the importance of a positive attitude to create a favorable impression on everyone you meet, from the attorneys in your firm/agency to your fellow law school colleagues.
Optimize your summer by seizing every opportunity provided to develop and nurture your professional relationships. You have spent a lot of time and money to become a successful attorney – you owe it to yourself to take these simple steps to help reach your goals!