As you look forward to a summer job, semester internship or a full-time position after graduation, navigating your new office is an important part of being successful. Here are a few tips to keep in mind:
- Take the initiative – Don’t wait for people to introduce themselves. Try to meet as many people as possible in the first few days. Establish yourself as a friendly person who is excited to be part of the team and ready to work.
- Master the physical layout – If your in a small office, this will not be an issue. However in some larger environments, learning where everything and everyone is located could take some effort. You may not feel as confident in your abilities if you don’t know where the copy room is. Take some time to learn where everything is.
- Learn the culture – Adjusting to a new environment can take a little time, so be observant of the culture in the work place. Pay attention to the protocols and who you should ask for what. Each office is different…so don’t expect it to be like your last position.
- Be a considerate colleague – Your goal is to make a more conducive environment for everyone. If you or other employees sit in cubicles, remember that is their office. Keeping their environment as noise free as possible and respecting their space is important.
- Ask Questions- As you begin your new job, you will likely have questions regarding both your work and your new office, ask questions to make sure you are completing your tasks correctly. Ask your supervisor to have weekly meetings with you as your get your bearings so that you have an opportunity to ask questions during a time when another project won’t be interrupted.
These are just a few tips to get you situated in your new surroundings and to feel comfortable in your new job. If you have any questions regarding how to adjust at a new employer or internship, please come by 103 and ask us, we are here to help you.