Professor Amy J Schmitz explores online dispute resolution in varied exchange contexts, with special focus on consumer claims and means for consumers to obtain remedies. She also has been active in recent debates regarding consumer protection more generally, consumer arbitration, and contracting behavior, especially amid the COVID-19 pandemic. The need for and importance of virtual options for access to justice continues to grow.
Invited Academic Presentations:
- The Arbitration Conversation, Various topics and issues in an ongoing web series on Arbitrate.com, (various dates starting in June 2020 and ongoing with over 42 webisodes and counting).
- Comparative Consumer Remedies, International, Comparative, Foreign and Domestic: A Virtual Gathering of Friends, University of Toledo, OH, Jan. 22. 2021 (via Zoom).
- Smart Contract ODR, Cyberspace 2020, Nov. 28, 2020 (based in Czech; via Zoom).
- Online Dispute Resolution: Innovations in Access to Justice, 2020 Northeast Conference on Public Administration: At the Heart of Public Service in America, Nov. 6-7, 2020 (Online).
- Measuring Access to Justice in the Rush to Digitize, Invited Speaker Series, Yale/Quinnipiac Speaker’s Series, New Haven, CT, Oct. 23, 2020 (via Zoom).
- Future of Healthcare Policy and Regulation in the Digital Age, IEEE AIPR 2020, Oct. 15, 2020, (via Zoom).
- Online Mediation and Arbitration, International Council on Online Dispute Resolution Global Meeting, Oct. 8, 2020 (via Zoom).
- Feature Interview: ABA Resolutions Podcast on The Rush to Digitize, American Bar Association, Oct. 1, 2020, 4:30 PM CT (Online).
- Envisioning Mediation for a New Generation – Where Should We Go? Technology and New Generational Expectations, Mediation 20/20: Navigating Mediation’s Best Future, Mediate.com’s 25th Anniversary, Sept. 30-Oct. 2, 2020 (via Zoom).
- Family ODR Experts Convening, Resolution Systems Institute Policy Initiative, Sept.-Oct. 2020 (various dates; via Zoom).
- ODR Governance, Online Dispute Resolution post-COVID19, La Trobe University, Melbourne, Australia, Sept. 15, 2020 (via Zoom).
- Consumer Arbitration Primer, Conflict Resolution, University of Massachusetts, Sept. 15, 2020 (via Zoom).
- Guiding Considerations for Using Tech in Dispute Resolution, American Bar Association Dispute Resolution Tech Expo, Sept. 14, 2020 (via Zoom).
- Online Dispute Resolution (ODR) for Resolving E-Commerce Claims, Avances XIII Congreso Internacional de Derecho Procesal, Facultad de Derecho Universidad de Medellín, Colombia, S.A. (online; Spanish), Aug. 18, 2020.
- ODR Options for UNCITRAL, U.S. State Department Advisory Committee on Private International Law, Annual Meeting for the Department of State’s Advisory Committee on Private International Law (ACPIL), July 28, 2020 (online).
- Blockchain Discussion, Business Processes and Technologies class, University of Missouri, June 29, 2020.
- Presentation on ODR for the Uniform Law Commissioners, ULC, May 27, 2020 (via Zoom).
- Magazine Roundtable: Authors’ Reflections, 2020 ABA Section of Dispute Resolution Virtual Spring Conference, May 19, 2020 (online).
- ‘Decoding’ Ethical Design and Practice in Resolving Smart Contract and Blockchain-Related Disputes, 2020 ABA Section of Dispute Resolution Virtual Spring Conference, May 18, 2020 (online).
- Free ODR Training for Community Mediators, May 5, 2020 (via Zoom).
- In The Know webinar – Online Dispute Resolution “ODR” and You, ABA Section on Business Law, “In the Know” CLE Program, April 22, 2020 (online).
- Empowerment through E-Courts & Public Online Dispute Resolution (ODR)?,Universidade Mackenzie, Brazil, April 3, 2020 (via Zoom).
- ODR in the ERA of COVID-19: Experts Answer Your Questions, ABA Free Webinar, March 20, 2020, (online).
Additional Outreach Presentations:
- Interdisciplinary Invite-Only Workshop: AI, Technology, and Negotiation conference, Harvard Program on Negotiation (PON), May 17-18, 2020.
Law Journals and Reviews:
- Beneficial and Ethical ODR for Family Issues, with Leah Wing, 59 Family Court Review ___ (forthcoming 2021).
- Arbitration in the Age of Covid: Considering Arbitration’s Move Online, __ Cardozo J. of Conflict Management __ (forthcoming).
- Measuring “Access to Justice” in the Rush to Digitize, 88 Fordham L. Rev 2381 (2020).
- Addressing the Class Claim Conundrum with Online Dispute Resolution (ODR), 2020 J. Disp. Resol. 361-390 (2020).
- Enforcing Consumer and Capital Markets Law in the United States, in Enforcing Consumer and Capital Market Law – The Diesel Emissions Scandal 339–362 (Beate Gsell and Thomas M.J. Möllers eds.) (Intersentia 2020).
- Promoviendo la protección del consumidor a través de la solución de conflictos en línea, en Agudelo Mejía, D. A. et al. (Coordinadores académicos), Nuevas dinámicas del Derecho Procesal (Sello editorial Universidad de Medellín: Medellín 2020).
- Resolving a New Kind of Trade War Through ODR in Theories of Change for the Dispute Resolution Movement: Actionable Ideas to Revitalize Our Movement (John Lande, ed., 2020).
- Preface, Considering Technology in Arbitration’s Promise for Access to Justice, (forthcoming 2020).
- Emphasizing Efficiency in the Digital Age, in Discussions in Dispute Resolution: The Formative Articles (Hinshaw, Schneider, and Cole, eds.) (Oxford Univ. Press, forthcoming 2020).
- ODR in the United States, with Jan Martinez, in Online Dispute Resolution: Theory and Practice: A Treatise on Technology and Dispute Resolution (Mohamed S. Abdel Wahab, Ethan Katsh and Daniel Rainey Eds. 2020).
- Dangers of Digitizing Due Process, in TBD with Cyberjustice Lab, (forthcoming).
Other Scholarship and Trade Publications:
- Making Smart Contracts “Smarter” with Arbitration, Articles for Technology Disputes (American Arbitration Association 2020).
- Real Feedback from Real People: Emphasizing User-Centric Designs for Court ODR, (with Heather Scheiwe Kulp), Dispute Resolution Magazine | Vol 26, No 2, pp. 6-12 (2020).
Commentary, Citations and Interviews:
- Jennifer Shack, What Do We Need To Do To Find Out if ODR Provides A2J?, Resolution Systems Inst. Newsletter (May 2020) (featuring a recent article written by Prof. Schmitz).
- Towards a Global Online Dispute Resolution Platform: Amy Schmitz and The New Handshake, Interview by Federico Ast, CEO, Kleros in Dispute Revolution (May 2020).