Areas of Expertise
- Affordable Care Act
- False Claims Act
- Food and Drug Regulation
- Health Data Privacy
- Public Health Law
- Tobacco Control
- Vaccine Regulation
About Sam Halabi
Sam F. Halabi is a Professor of Law as well as a Scholar at the O’Neill Institute for National and Global Health Law at Georgetown University. He is also the 2017-18 Fulbright Canada Research Chair in Health Law, Policy, and Ethics at the University of Ottawa, Ontario.
Prof. Halabi is the author of Intellectual Property and the New International Economic Order(Cambridge University Press, 2018) and he has edited (with Lawrence O. Gostin and Jeffrey S. Crowley) Global Management of Infectious Disease after Ebola(Oxford University Press, 2017). He has authored or co-authored more than 30 articles and book chapters in legal and medical publications including the Journal of the American Medical Association(JAMA), the Lancet, the Baylor Law Review, and the Tulane Law Review. He blogs regularly at the Yale Journal on Regulation’s Noticeand Comment. Prof. Halabi advises or has advised domestic and international organizations including the World Health Organization, the National Foundation for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and the Global Virome Project.
Prof. Halabi joined the MU faculty from The University of Tulsa College of Law where he served as the Associate Dean for Faculty Development and also earned the College’s nomination for the university’s outstanding teacher award. Before joining the legal academy, he practiced law at the Washington, D.C. office of Latham & Watkins after which he clerked for Judge Nanette K. Laughrey of the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri.
Professor Halabi’s honors include a British Marshall scholarship (Oxford), a Rotary International Ambassadorial scholarship (the American University of Beirut), and a Fellowship at the Oklahoma Center for the Humanities. In 1999, he earned first prize in the Elie Wiesel Foundation for Humanity’s Essay in Ethics competition.
Latest News Featuring Sam Halabi
- Professor Halabi’s New Book is the Focus of Yale Symposium
- Professor Halabi Comments on Duck Boat Investigations and Lawsuits
- D.C. District Court Cites Professor Halabi’s Article on Corporate Veil-Piercing
- Professor Halabi Presents Research at World Health Organization Meeting in Geneva
- Professor Halabi Convenes Conference on Material Transfer Agreements and Human Pathogens
Latest Publications from Sam Halabi
- Does TRIPS Stop International IP Free-Riders?
- Viral Sovereignty, Intellectual Property, and the Changing Global System for Sharing Pathogens for Infectious Disease Research
- Yes, There is Such a Thing as Too Much Transparency
- Stigma and the Structure of Title IX Compliance
- The Nagoya Protocol’s Potential for Redistributing Benefits Resulting from Genetic Resources Used for Agriculture and Medicine