Classes Begin in New Law Department Building Timelines: History of University of Missouri School of Law

Commonly called the “Law Barn” by law students, the Law Department Building opened in 1893 on the northeast corner of the Francis Quadrangle. It allotted considerably more space to the growing department, with two classrooms, moot court and club rooms, “quiz rooms,” offices for the faculty, and a large law library.

The “Law Barn” would eventually become the Sociology Building. Later, it would be renovated to house the Donald W. Reynolds Journalism Institute, which currently occupies the building.