About Dennis Crouch
Dennis Crouch is the Judge C.A. Leedy Professor of Law and Director of the Center for Intellectual Property and Entrepreneurship at the University of Missouri School of Law. He is well known for his expertise in both intellectual property and artificial intelligence law. He is widely published in academic journals and is also known as creator and primary author of the popular patent law blog, Patently-O that includes more than 6,000 substantive posts from the past 20 years and tens of millions of visitors.
He has taught a wide range of courses at Mizzou Law, including patent law and advanced patent law (experiential), copyright, internet law (writing intensive), licensing, law of the internet (popular undergraduate course), civil procedure I and II, property I and II, and professional responsibility. His patent classes are known for including substantial experiential components, including an internal moot court competition and substantial patent drafting practice. He has received several teaching awards.
Prior to joining the Mizzou Law Faculty, Crouch was a patent attorney in Chicago, Illinois, and taught at Boston University Law School. He received a BSE in mechanical engineering cum laude from Princeton University, where he also earned a certificate in engineering management systems. He then earned his JD cum laude from the University of Chicago Law School. While at the University of Chicago, he was a Microsoft, Merck, & Pfizer scholar, and a member of the Olin program in law and economics.
Prior to attending law school, Professor Crouch worked on a number of interesting engineering projects that included time as a research fellow at NASA’s Glenn Research Center, as a software developer at the Mayo Clinic’s department of biomedical imaging, and as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Ghana, West Africa. Dennis Crouch grew up on a farm near Pittsburg, Kansas.
Latest News Featuring Dennis Crouch
- Oliveri, Crouch and Henson win annual Mizzou Law faculty awards
- Professor Dennis Crouch cited in Washington Post article
- Prof. Dennis Crouch and Mizzou Law student present at 2021 BYU symposium
- Tenth Annual University of Missouri Patent Law Moot Court Competition
- Professor Crouch publishes post #7,000 on Patently-O
Latest Publications from Dennis Crouch
- Legal Fictions and the Corporation as an Inventive Artificial Intelligence
- States Can Infringe upon Your Intellectual Property Rights with Impunity in the Era of ‘New Federalism’
- Reference Check: A Simple Strategy to Improve Drug Patent Quality
- Resorbing Patent Law’s Kessler Cat into the General Law of Preclusion
- When is Software Code Copyrightable – Is Its Unauthorized Copying Excusable as a Fair Use