Areas of Expertise
- Entertainment Law
- Intellectual Property
About Gary Myers
Gary Myers is the Earl F. Nelson Professor of Law at the School of Law. Myers received his juris doctor with honors from Duke University School of Law and graduated summa cum laudewith a bachelor’s degree in economics from New York University. He also earned an MA in economics from the Duke University Graduate School as part of a joint degree program while at Duke. Myers was an article editor on the Duke Law Journaland was a member of the Moot Court Board. After graduation, he served as a law clerk for Judge Gerald Tjoflat of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit in Jacksonville, Fla. He then practiced complex commercial litigation with the Atlanta law firm of Powell, Goldstein, Frazer & Murphy, which has since merged with the Bryan Cave law firm.
Before serving as the sixteenth dean at the School of Law from 2012 to 2016, Myers was a long-time member of the faculty at the University of Mississippi School of Law. At Mississippi, Myers held the Ray & Louise Stewart Lectureship and served as its first associate dean for research. Myers has been a visiting professor of law at the College of William & Mary School of Law and Tulane University School of Law. He also served as a Distinguished Visiting Professor of Law at the Loyola University School of Law in New Orleans.
Myers is an elected member of the American Law Institute, a member of the American Law and Economics Association, and a member of the American Intellectual Property Law Association. He is the author or coauthor of a series of five books: (1) Intellectual Property: Cases & Materials (West 4th edition 2012); (2) Principles of Intellectual Property (West 2d edition 2012); (3) Entertainment Law: Cases & Materials (West 5th edition 2016); (4) Intellectual Property: Questions & Answers (LexisNexis 2d edition 2014); and (5) The Intersection of Intellectual Property & Antitrust Law (West 2007). He is also the author of more than a dozen articles, including publications in the Duke Law Journal, the Minnesota Law Review, the Washington & Lee Law Review, the Columbia-VLA Journal of Law & the Arts and the Journal of Intellectual Property Law.
Latest News Featuring Gary Myers
- MU professor says Google v. Oracle case leaves fair use ‘muddy’
- Professor Myers publishes in Journal of Intellectual Property Law
- Professor Myers Presents at SEALS Conference
- Professor Myers Speaks at Free Speech Discussion Forum in Hungary
- Professor Myers Shares 2019 U.S. Supreme Court Highlights with Missouri Bar and SEALS
Latest Publications from Gary Myers
- Muddy Waters: Fair Use Implications of Google LLC v. Oracle America, Inc.
- Copyright Law: An Open Source Casebook
- Entertainment, Media and the Law: Cases and Materials
- Intellectual Property: Questions & Answers
- Principles of Intellectual Property Law