About S. Mitchell
Professor Mitchell is an interdisciplinary scholar who looks at the criminal justice system using a sociological lens. Some of the specific topics of interest on which his scholarship focuses are the collateral consequences of sentencing, ex-offender reentry, and felon disenfranchisement.
He joined the University of Missouri School of Law faculty in 2006, after two years as a Scholar in Residence in the Sociology Department at the University of Colorado in Boulder. He is an affiliate member of the MU Black Studies Program and a Policy Research Scholar with the MU Institute for Public Policy. He was recently the Chair of the UM System on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Task Force. Prior to joining the academy, he served as a law clerk to the Honorable Andre M. Davis, formerly of the U.S. District Court.
He is a member of the American Law Institute. He has served as the Chair of the Missouri State Advisory Committee to the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights and a Missouri Supreme Court Faculty Fellow. During his tenure, he has been recognized for his teaching – Gold Chalk Award (2009) and his service – Legion of Black Collegians Minority Faculty and Staff Appreciation Award (2011); the 2014-2015 Lloyd L. Gaines Scholarship Banquet Honoree; and the MU President’s Community Engagement Award (2015).
Latest News Featuring S. Mitchell
- Professor Crouch comments on Supreme Court ruling
- Professor Mitchell Becomes an American Bar Foundation Fellow
- Mizzou Law Faculty Presenting at AALS Annual Meeting
- Professor Mitchell Interviewed About Felon Disenfranchisement
- Professor Mitchell Presented Paper on the New Urban Agenda
Latest Publications from S. Mitchell
- Ferguson: Footnote or Transformative Event?
- Notice(ing) Ex-Offenders: A Case Study of the Manifest Injustice of Passively Violating a “Felon-in-Possession” Statute
- Zero Tolerance Policies: Criminalizing Childhood and Disenfranchising the Next Generation of Citizens
- Blanket Retroactive Amelioration: A Remedy for Disproportionate Punishments
- Unintended Consequences?: An Interdisciplinary Exploration of the Obstacles That Prevent Successful Ex-offender Reentry and Reintegration and the Societal Impact (Order No. 3551720, University of Pennsylvania)