Academic Matters

What is the Grading Scale?

The law school operates under a 65-100 grading scale. The lowest passing grade under this scale is 70. Thus, any grade of 65-69 inclusive is a failing grade and, in required courses, may require the course to be repeated.

Individual grades are, and will remain, the exclusive province of the individual faculty member. Faculty, however, tend to follow some guidelines in first year courses and required upper level courses. The median grades in those courses tend towards:

First-year courses, both semesters — median of 83.5

Upper level required courses (Constitutional Law, Evidence, Professional Responsibility, Criminal Procedure) — median of 84

The rules for dismissal and probation are available at

What is my official GPA? How do I get it and/or a transcript?

All of your Grades and your GPA are kept in the campus’ MyZou system. All official

transcripts must come from MyZou.

To obtain a transcript:

  1. Use your PawPrint to go to MyZou
  2. Select Self-Service
  3. Select Academic Records
  4. Official Transcript
  5. To view an unofficial transcript click on Rqst Student Academic Profile
  6. Select Submit
  7. An official transcript will be emailed to your Mizzou email account.


When will I get my class rank?

Class ranks are calculated following both the fall and spring semesters, but they are not recalculated after summer school. Class ranks post as soon as possible after grades are released in MyZou following both the fall and spring semesters. Any grades earned in summer school will immediately appear in your law school cumulative GPA in MyZou, but they will not be reflected in your class rank until the end of the fall semester.


What is the Upper Level Writing Requirement?

All students at the School of Law must complete an upper level writing requirement. The writing requirement is defined as “a writing experience that results in a paper at least 20 pages, based on independent research, with both a draft and a redraft, and under the supervision of a full-time faculty member.”

The Upper-level writing requirement can be satisfied through:

  • A writing course (e.g., Law & Literature)
  • Independent research
  • Writing for one of our journals
  • A writing section of a regular course (designated by a “W” in the class list).
    A “writing section” is a course specifically designated for that purpose, by requiring a paper of at least 20 double-spaced pages; requiring that after a draft of the paper is completed, there is a meeting between faculty member and student about the paper; and by requiring a redraft of the paper.


What is the Professional Perspectives Requirement?

You must complete a certain number of Professional Perspective credits each year to remain in good standing and to ultimately be eligible to graduate.

Matters counting for Professional Perspectives credit are broken into two categories:

  1.  Professional Perspectives are those programs that give students a new or different prospective on the law or its practice;
  2. Career Development are those programs that give students information about professional planning and development and career strategies for legal and other marketplaces.

Any program approved for credit will designate the category applicable to that

The Professional Perspectives requirement for each class of students is as follows:

For first year law students:

  • 1 Professional Perspectives and 1 Career Development program in the fall semester;
  • 1 Professional Perspectives and 1 Career Development program in the spring

For second and third year law students:

  • 2 Programs each semester:
    At least two of the programs during the year must be from the Professional Perspectives series;
    At least one program during the year must be from the Career Development series.

What is the Law School Honor Code?

The complete Honor Code is available in the on-line student handbook at Generally offenses under the Honor Code fall into the following categories:

  • Cheating
  • Dishonesty
  • Obstructing the work of another
  • Impeding the administration of the Honor Code
  • Word plagiarism
  • Idea plagiarism
  • Professional misconduct
  • Obstruction of the performance of law school functions
  • M-Book violations
  • Promoting or facilitating prohibited conduct
  • Attempting to commit prohibited conduct


What are the limitations on working during the semester?

The following American Bar Association regulation applies to the School of Law:

“The Law School shall not award full-time residency credit to a student who does not devote substantially all of the student’s working hours to the study of law or engages in employment for more than 20 hours per week, whether outside or inside the Law School.”

As a result, the following rule is applicable to all Mizzou Law students:

For all law students who are employed by the School of Law in any capacity, including research assistant or other part-time student employment, the School of Law cannot process for payment time sheets which indicate more than 20 hours per week of work. Law school faculty and staff are not authorized to permit or require law student employees to work more than 20 hours per week. Each student will be required to sign a certificate promising to not be employed for more than 20 hours per week in any capacity.


Where can I find the student handbook?

The School of Law’s policies and rules are available online at

As law students, you are also students of the University of Missouri. As a result, you need to be aware of the provisions of the University’s M-Book, which is available online at

As prospective attorneys, you are also subject to the Rules of Professional Conduct for attorneys, which is available at


What do I do if I have a disability and need accommodations?

Any student with a special need addressed by the Americans with Disabilities Act should review information at:

Each semester, a disability must be verified by the Office of Disability Services, located at S5 Memorial Union (882-4696 / Students who believe they qualify for accommodation should contact the Office of Disability Service as soon as possible after the start of the semester. That office will then make a determination and advise the law school of the type of accommodation needed.