Student Organization Resources

Students Organization Listing

Diverse Law Student Organizations

Asian American Law Students Association (AALSA)
Black Law Students Association (BLSA)
Hispanic Law Students Association (HLSA)
Lambda Legal
Non-Traditional Law Student Association
Women’s Law Association

Campus Diversity Resources

Division of Inclusion, Diversity & Equity
Guide to Religions
Gaines/Oldham Black Culture Center
The Association of Black Graduate and Professional Students

Area Bar Associations

Asian American Bar Association of Kansas City (AABAKC)
The Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis (BAMSL)
Boone County Bar Association (Columbia)
Cook County Bar Association (Chicago, IL)
Jackson County Bar Association (Kansas City)
Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association (KCMBA)
Missouri Asian-American Bar Association (MABA)
Missouri Bar
Mound City Bar Association (St. Louis)
Springfield Metropolitan Bar Association

Diversity Resources and Links

Council on Legal Education and Opportunity
Hispanic National Bar Association
Lambda Legal
Mexican American Bar Association
Minority Corporate Counsel Association
NAACP Legal Defense Fund
National Asian Pacific American Bar Association
National Asian Pacific American Law Student Association
National Bar Association
National Black Law Students Association
National Legal Aid & Defender Association
The National LGBT Bar Association
National Native American Law Students Association
Native American Rights Fund
Puerto Rican Bar Association (PRBA)

Student Organizations FAQs 

How can I start a new student organization?

  • To start an official student organization, you should follow the process in the MU Student Resource Group.  Once you have completed the process outlined there, you should contact the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs regarding: including a description of your organization in the Law School’s website and obtaining an email account for your organization.

How are student organizations funded?

  • The Student Bar Association is funded by a fee that all law students pay their first year of law school. All other student organizations are self-funded through the collection of membership dues or other fund-raising activities. At times, SBA provides financial support to other organizations.

When can we schedule an event? How is the “free hour” used?

  • Mondays and Wednesdays are reserved for student events. Faculty members can schedule review classes during the free hour on those days only under truly extraordinary circumstances.
    • Events related to Career Services are also scheduled primarily on Mondays and Wednesdays. After the fourth week of the semester, Career Services may schedule events on any day of the week.
  • Tuesdays and Thursdays are reserved for faculty events. Student groups can schedule events on these days reserved for make-up classes only in truly extraordinary circumstances (after approval from the Associate Dean).
    • Student and faculty events (including make-up classes) can be scheduled at the end of the day following completion of all classes for that day.

How do we schedule a room?

  • To reserve a classroom for events sponsored by student organizations, please come to room 203 or room 227. They can help determine a time and place suitable for your event.

How do I get access to an organization office or classroom?

If you need to get into a student organization office or a classroom, the following offices will be happy to unlock the door for you:

  • 103 (Admissions and/or Career Development)
  • 203 (Law Administration)
  • 226 (Law Library Administration)

If you wish to gain access to the large storage room, please stop by the Law Library Administration office (room 226) where an individual key is available for the large storage room located on the outer desk. Bring the key back and place it on the desk (where you picked it up) once you are done using the key.

If you need access to a study room, please come see Laura Wilcoxon in 122B in the library.

You are only able to pick up the key during regular business hours: Monday – Friday, 8 am – 5 pm.

How can we be assigned bulletin board space?

If your organization is interested in using one of the bulletin board spaces available in the building, please contact the building coordinator, 882-9679.

Where can student organizations post signs?

  • Posters, signs, announcements or notices of any kind are prohibited on the brickwork, pillars, walls, classroom and restroom doors in the building.
  • Students and groups may place notices on the student bulletin boards or student office areas.
  • Temporary, small (8 ½” x 11”), important notices may be placed on the middle entrance doors – but no sooner than two days in advance of an event. All permitted signs must be removed immediately after the event.
  • Do not use duct tape, masking tape or packing tape to post these notices.
  • Removable tape is the only type of approved tape. Room 103 and 203 have removable tape available for posting.

Who can I contact to handle building issues?

Building Coordinator, 882-9679, is available to address any issues regarding building maintenance.