Student Affairs Programs and Resources

Bar Exam

Preparing for the Bar Examination

The Missouri Bar Examination is given each year in February and July in Jefferson City.

Information about the subjects covered in the Missouri Bar Examination is available at the Missouri Board of Law Examiners website and the National Conference of Bar Examiners website.

The State of Missouri has adopted the Uniform Bar Examination (“UBE”) for all applicants seeking admission to the state bar. The UBE is comprised of the Multistate Essay Examination, the Multistate Performance Test, and the Multistate Bar Examination. Because the exam tests on uniform principals of law, the Supreme Court of Missouri and the Missouri Board of Law Examiners also require a mandatory open book test (“Missouri Educational Component Test” or “MECT”) for all applicants to complete as a condition of licensure.

Students are urged to consider the subject areas frequently tested in the bar examination as they plan their academic schedules. Those students who plan to take the bar examination of another state should consult with the bar examiners of that state.

The Missouri Board of Law Examiners encourages law students to file an Application for Character and Fitness Report as soon as they begin law school. 1Ls who file before June 30 of their 2L year will pay a lower application fee. Students can no longer seek an early Character and fitness determination after June 30 prior to their third year of law school and instead must submit the Application for Character and Fitness Report concurrently with the Application for Bar Examination the Spring of their 3L year.

The Multistate Professional Responsibility Examination (MPRE) is required for admission to the Missouri Bar as well as to the bar of many other states. The examination is given in Columbia three times per year and may be taken prior to graduation. Information about the MPRE is available at the National Board of Bar Examiners website.

Student Health and Wellness

MU Counseling Center: 119 Parker Hall (6th St between Elm and Stewart); 573-882-6601

*Confidential Resource*

  • Hours: Monday-Friday 8 am- 5 pm (24/7 crisis service available by phone: 573-882-6601)
  • On-call crisis walk-in services available during regular business hours.
  • The average number of appointments per student is four to six, though this can vary depending on the care needed. Services offered include individual psychotherapy; group therapy; crisis intervention; psycho-educational workshops; outreach presentations; consultation to students, faculty, staff and parents; and psychological and educational testing.
  • Website:
  • Wait time: depends on the time of year and services needed (e.g. end of the semester they do get pretty backed up, but can still get someone in with extreme case within a week; less extreme case might be able to talk to an on-call clinician, in-person or over the phone)

Student Health Center: 4th-floor University Physicians Medical Bldg., 1101 Hospital Drive; 573-882-7481

*Confidential Resource*

  • Medical assistance for MU students by appointment (including STI testing):
  • Behavioral Health providers available by appointment: 573-882-1483
  • Student health fee allows for 4 free sessions, per semester.
  • Website:
  • Wait time: a few days depending on the provider’s schedule

MU Psychological Services Clinic: Department of Psychological Sciences, 210 McAlester Hall

*Confidential Resource*

  • Hours: Monday 9am-7pm; Tuesday – Thursday 9am-8pm; Friday 9am-5pm
  • These are psychologists, not psychiatrists. Providers available by appointment: 573-882-4677
  • Crisis or immediate (i.e. same day) services are not available.
  • Services are not free; info on fees can be found on the website
  • Website:
  • Wait time: depending on services needed, little as a week (if have insurance); intensive program for bipolar disorder that could take up to 2 months to get into

Missouri Psychiatric Center: 3 Hospital Drive; (573) 882-4141

*Confidential Resource *

  • Short term, intensive inpatient treatment services
  • Outpatient care including psychotherapy, individual, family and group therapy
  • Provide treatment for substance-abuse problems that occur with other psychiatric disorders such as depression or anxiety
  • Emergency room assessment unit to help with crisis stabilization
  • Website:
  • Wait time: depends on services needed and provider’s schedule

Wellness Resource Center: G202 MU Student Center; (573) 882-4634

  • Hours: Monday-Friday 8 a.m.- 5 p.m.
  • The Wellness Resource Center provides various services and programs addressing the
  • safe consumption of alcohol, drug-free initiatives and other mental health wellness
  • topics. Examples of programs and services include:
  • Ask, Listen, Refer – suicide prevention
  • CHEERS to the Designated Driver – partnering with local bars across the state to provide free soft drinks to designated drivers
  • STAR (Strategies Targeting Alcohol Responsibility) – individually tailored skills program designed to help students drink more responsibly and reduce the risk of negative consequences when they drink
  • Relaxation Station – students may stop by during business hours for a 15-minute massage in a massage chair
  • Website:

At-Risk Behaviors Committee: 573-882-6776

  • The At-Risk Behaviors Committee helps keep our campus community safe.
  • Members meet regularly to identify and coordinate the response to and assistance for people at Mizzou who are in extreme distress and/or who are behaving in ways that are concerning to multiple people on campus. If you are aware of someone who might need assistance, contact the vice chancellor for student affairs at the number listed above.
  • Website:

Student Accountability and Support Care Coordinator: 573-884-8253

  • Information shared with a case manager does not fall under the same confidentiality levels of health care provider or therapist/psychologist. Every effort is made to ensure privacy, and information only is shared on a need-to-know basis.
  • Works with students to identify areas causing distress, explore concerns about physical or mental health, notify your college when you are unable to attend class, assist you in a return from hospitalization or other medical treatment, communicate with faculty and staff, find appropriate resources on campus or within the community
  • Meets with students and follow-up as long as needed; accepts walk-in appointments
  • Contact person: Nicole Logue
  • Website:

Disability Services and Accommodations 

Building Coordinator/alternates will coordinate (with the person with a disability) the appointment of two individuals and an alternate, to aid the person(s).

Self Disclosure

If you have a disability or for another reason you may need special assistance during an emergency, please continue reading and act accordingly.

Law students, faculty and staff requiring special assistance during an emergency should reveal their need to the Building Coordinator/alternates of Zone 1 (Law School) or Zone 2 (Law Library) at the beginning of each semester.

Buddy Plan

Building Coordinator/alternates will confer with the person needing assistance, identify needed accommodations, and appoint two buddies and an alternate to each person needing assistance. The two appointed individuals should be in the student’s first class of the day to acknowledge their presence or absence. Law faculty or staff should follow standard office procedures for reporting absences.

Building Coordinator/alternates will meet and inform all individuals (two buddies, their alternate and the person with a disability) of the following:

  • The alternate individual will substitute if one of the two appointed individuals is absent on the day an emergency arises.
  • The two appointed individuals and their alternate should know the person, their disability, and how to help during an emergency.
  • The two appointed individuals and their alternate should know the person’s daily schedules, and where they routinely study or work.
  • The two appointed individuals and their alternate should keep a schedule in their wallet, purses, backpacks, etc.

Individual Evacuation Procedure

The two appointed individuals and their alternate should practice the technique/procedure of transporting the disabled person to a safe zone.

If an emergency occurs, the two appointed individuals and their alternate should first identify the nature of the emergency, then proceed to inside building assembly points, or to evacuation routes and locations.


Diverse Law Student Organizations

Asian American Law Students Association (AALSA)
Black Law Students Association (BLSA)
Hispanic Law Students Association (HLSA)
Lambda Legal
Non-Traditional Law Student Association
Women’s Law Association

Campus Diversity Resources

Chancellor’s Diversity Initiative
Guide to Religions
Gaines/Oldham Black Culture Center
The Association of Black Graduate and Professional Students

Area Bar Associations

Asian American Bar Association of Kansas City (AABAKC)
The Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis (BAMSL)
Boone County Bar Association (Columbia)
Cole County Bar Association (Jefferson City)
Cook County Bar Association (Chicago, IL)
Jackson County Bar Association (Kansas City)
Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association (KCMBA)
Missouri Asian-American Bar Association (MABA)
Missouri Bar
Mound City Bar Association (St. Louis)
Springfield Metropolitan Bar Association

Diversity Resources and Links

Council on Legal Education and Opportunity
Hispanic National Bar Association
Lambda Legal
Mexican American Bar Association
Minority Corporate Counsel Association
NAACP Legal Defense Fund
National Asian Pacific American Bar Association
National Asian Pacific American Law Student Association
National Bar Association
National Black Law Students Association
National Legal Aid & Defender Association
The National LGBT Bar Association
National Native American Law Students Association
Native American Rights Fund
Puerto Rican Bar Association (PRBA)

Student Organizations FAQs 

How can I start a new student organization?

  • To start an official student organization, you should follow the process in the MU Student Resource Group.  Once you have completed the process outlined there, you should contact the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs regarding: including a description of your organization in the Law School’s website and obtaining an email account for your organization.

How are student organizations funded?

  • The Student Bar Association is funded by a fee that all law students pay their first year of law school. All other student organizations are self-funded through the collection of membership dues or other fund-raising activities. At times, SBA provides financial support to other organizations.

When can we schedule an event? How is the “free hour” used?

  • Mondays and Wednesdays are reserved for student events. Faculty members can schedule review classes during the free hour on those days only under truly extraordinary circumstances.
    • Events related to Career Services are also scheduled primarily on Mondays and Wednesdays. After the fourth week of the semester, Career Services may schedule events on any day of the week.
  • Tuesdays and Thursdays are reserved for faculty events. Student groups can schedule events on these days reserved for make-up classes only in truly extraordinary circumstances (after approval from the Associate Dean).
    • Student and faculty events (including make-up classes) can be scheduled at the end of the day following completion of all classes for that day.

How do we schedule a room?

  • To reserve a classroom for events sponsored by student organizations, please come to room 203 or room 227. They can help determine a time and place suitable for your event.

How do I get access to an organization office or classroom?

If you need to get into a student organization office or a classroom, the following offices will be happy to unlock the door for you:

  • 103 (Admissions and/or Career Development)
  • 203 (Law Administration)
  • 226 (Law Library Administration)

If you wish to gain access to the large storage room, please stop by the Law Library Administration office (room 226) where an individual key is available for the large storage room located on the outer desk. Bring the key back and place it on the desk (where you picked it up) once you are done using the key.

If you need access to a study room, please come see Kathy Smith or Tamara Guilford Davis at the Circulation Desk.

You are only able to pick up the key during regular business hours: Monday – Friday, 8 am – 5 pm.

How to hold an event with professional perspective credit?

  • When planning an event it is a good idea to check the web calendar and to check with fellow organization presidents to ensure there are no (or few) scheduling conflicts.
  • Reserve a room through the Law Administration office (203), (573)882-6487 (room 203).
  • Fill out the “Application to Receive Professional Perspectives Credit” (PDF). The completed form should be turned in to Room 227. The form asks you to include: a short description of your event; whether you are seeking Professional Perspective or Career Component credit; and, whether the event is open to the public.
  • If the Associate Dean approves your event, the event will be placed on the web calendar and at the appropriate time will be announced on the digital sign outside of Room 103. If the Associate Dean has any questions as to the eligibility of your event, you will be contacted.
  • When sponsoring an event that qualifies for Professional Perspectives you are responsible for having the sign-in sheets on the day of the event to be able to record student attendance. The sign-in sheets are available in Room 227 or through email from the Associate Dean’s administrative assistant (Robin). If you notify Robin in advance, a copy with your event details can be printed for you (making it a good idea to come the day before). It is of most importance that the event information is provided in each sign-in sheet, to allow us to keep a proper record of the information.
  • After the event is completed, please return the sign-in sheets back to the Dean’s office and hand them to Robin as soon as you can. We need those forms so that we can keep accurate records of student participation.

How can we be assigned bulletin board space?

If your organization is interested in using one of the bulletin board spaces available in the building, please contact Kathy Smith 882-4597.

Where can student organizations post signs?

  • Posters, signs, announcements or notices of any kind are prohibited on the brickwork, pillars, walls, classroom and restroom doors in the building.
  • Students and groups may place notices on the student bulletin boards or student office areas.
  • Temporary, small (8 ½” x 11”), important notices may be placed on the middle entrance doors – but no sooner than two days in advance of an event. All permitted signs must be removed immediately after the event.
  • Do not use duct tape, masking tape or packing tape to post these notices.
  • Removable tape is the only type of approved tape. Room 103 and 203 have removable tape available for posting.
  • If you wish to have your event posted on the digital sign outside room 103, please see Karen Neylon, 235A Hulston,, 882-2020.

Who can I contact to handle building issues?

Kathy Smith, 882-4597, is the building coordinator, and in that capacity is available to address any issues regarding building maintenance.